Need to polish your story?
Check out our on-demand video courses, below.
Romance Writing Contest: 7 Winners in All!
1st Place: $250 Amazon Gift Card and 2 hours of Private Coaching
2nd Place: 30 Minutes of Private Coaching
5 Honorable Mentions: Create Colorful Characters for Your Romance (Character Interview Templates)
Does Your 1st Chapter Captivate Us?
Let’s Find Out!
In this Romance writing contest, you must capture our imaginations! We want to cheer for your heroine as she meets that rascally heart-stealer, who’s about to turn her world upside-down. Make us laugh. Make us sigh. Make us wish we were living in your Heroine’s shoes, when the Hero enters the scene!
If you can keep us eagerly turning pages—from your Literary Hook until the Chapter’s End—you’ll increase your odds of becoming a semi-finalist.
Our top 2 winners will receive private coaching from #1 bestselling, award-winning Romance author, Adrienne deWolfe, who has a proven track record of helping Romance writers get better reviews and climb the charts at Amazon. Our grand prize winner will also receive a $250 Amazon Gift Card.
Hurry! Only 1,000 entries will be accepted!
Deadline: Midnight, Oct. 1st
Contest Fee: $25 per entry
Entry Length: 25 pages (6,300 words max.)
Romance Writing Contest Rules
- Please read this section thoroughly.
- The Best 1st Chapter Contest is open to any writer of book-length commercial Romance, which means the plot of your manuscript must focus on one couple’s love story, and the resolution must be optimistic (the “happy-ever-after.”)
- We welcome submissions from all Romance subgenres, including:
- Romantic Suspense
- Contemporary Romance
- Historical Romance
- Paranormal Romance
- Young Adult Romance
- New Adult Romance
- Inspirational Romance, and
- Erotic Romance.
- Your entry will be judged by published Romance authors and the staff of WriteRomanceNovelsThatSell.com. The judges’ decisions will be final. (Want to see the judging criteria? Click here.)
- Your entry must be an original work of commercial Romance fiction.
- Your entry must consist of no more than 25 double-spaced pages (or a maximum of 6,300 words.) See formatting instructions, below.
- You may submit as many unique, 25-page “Best 1st Chapter Entries” as you like (from different commercial Romance novels.) Each 25-page entry must be submitted separately, and each entry must be accompanied by a separate, $25 payment.
- Entries and contest fees must be submitted no later than midnight, Chicago Time, on Oct. 1. This deadline is absolute, and no exceptions will be made for ANY reason, including digital failures.
- Entrants who fail to meet the Oct. 1st deadline for this Romance writing contest will be disqualified, and their entry fee will be forfeited (in other words, “not returned.”)
- Submissions that do not follow standard manuscript formatting (as described, below) will be disqualified and discarded, and the entry fee will be forfeited (in other words, “not returned.”)
- Please follow these formatting guidelines for this Romance writing contest:
- Cover Sheet: Include your name, title, subgenre, email, and telephone number.
- On each additional page: type the following in the upper right corner: Book Title/Page #
- Use 12-point Courier font (or a similar monospaced serif font)
- Double spaced lines of text
- 1-inch margins
- Paragraph indentations of 0.5 inches