Need to polish your story?
Check out our on-demand video courses, below.
Click here if you want an invitation to submit your entry in January.
Romance Writing Contest: 7 Winners in All!
1st Place: $250 Amazon Gift Card and 2 hours of Private Coaching
2nd Place: 30 Minutes of Private Coaching
5 Honorable Mentions: Create Colorful Characters for Your Romance (Character Interview Templates)
Does Your Kiss Scene Make Hearts Pound?
Let’s Find Out!
In this Romance writing contest, we want butterflies in our belly! We want to feel fizzy and giddy and flushed with desire!
In short, we want to read YOUR 1st Kiss Scene!
Titillate us, captivate us, make us yearn for more! If you make our hearts race, you’ll receive private coaching from #1 bestselling, award-winning Romance author, Adrienne deWolfe, who has a proven track record of helping Romance writers get better reviews and climb the charts at Amazon. You’ll also win an Amazon Gift Card.
Hurry! Only 1,000 entries will be accepted!
Deadline: Midnight, July 1st
Contest Fee: $20 per entry
Entry Length: 10 pages (5,000 words max.)
Romance Writing Contest Rules
- Please read this section thoroughly.
- The 1st Kiss Contest is open to any writer of book-length commercial Romance, which means the plot of your manuscript must focus on one couple’s love story, and the resolution must be optimistic (the “happy-ever-after.”)
- We welcome submissions from all Romance subgenres, including:
- Romantic Suspense
- Contemporary Romance
- Historical Romance
- Paranormal Romance
- Young Adult Romance
- New Adult Romance
- Inspirational Romance, and
- Erotic Romance.
- Your judges will include published Romance novelists and the staff of WriteRomanceNovelsThatSell.com. The judges’ decisions will be final. (Click here for judging criteria.)
- Your entry must be an original work of commercial Romance fiction.
- Your entry must consist of no more than 10 double-spaced pages (or a maximum of 5,000 words.) See formatting instructions, below.
- If you have written multiple manuscripts, you may submit as many unique, 10-page “1st Kiss Entries” as you like. Each 10-page entry must be submitted separately, and each entry must be accompanied by a separate, $20 payment.
- Entries and contest fees must be submitted no later than midnight, Chicago Time, on July 1. This deadline is absolute, and no exceptions will be made for ANY reason, including digital failures.
- Entrants who fail to meet the July 1st deadline for this Romance writing contest will be disqualified, and their entry fee will be forfeited.
- Submissions that do not follow standard manuscript formatting (as described, below) will be disqualified and discarded, and the entry fee will be forfeited.
- Please follow these formatting guidelines for this Romance writing contest:
- Cover Sheet: Include your name, title, subgenre, email, and telephone number.
- On each additional page: type the following in the upper right corner: Book Title/Page #
- Use 12-point Courier font (or a similar monospaced serif font)
- Double-spaced lines of text
- 1-inch margins
- Paragraph indentations of 0.5 inches